BROWNIES! That’s what’s in the cookie jar!
How is it that it’s Labor Day weekend already? The last blast of summer… except for the heat and humidity of course! My latest recipe will be a sweet addition to your holiday weekend.
I’ve got the latest recipe from my series (based off of Food Network Magazine’s ) “A Year of Brownies”, and this one is a keeper. Like last month’s brownie , it’s a few step process, but well worth the effort. This brownie has 4 layers of deliciousness, including a shortbread cookie bottom layer! I used “Lorna Doone” cookies , but you could be an overachiever and make your own homemade layer. You do you!
The original recipe called for chocolate, peanut butter and butterscotch baking chips. I substituted espresso chips and pretzel M&Ms , along with the butterscotch baking chips. Use whatever flavor candies or baking chips you have on hand, or your family favorites. . Try white chocolate baking chips, sno-cap candies or caramel baking chips in this recipe!
The brownie layer has extra chocolate chips added. I had a half of a 10 ounce bag on hand, so I used it all. Original recipe called for 4 ounces. Who doesn’t need MORE chocolate in their brownie? Overall, this recipe is 10 out of 10 on the deliciousness scale. Perfect treat for a picnic, party, or baked in a disposable tray and delivered to a friend or neighbor. It’s so decadent, you could use an an alternative to birthday cake (IMHO)!
Cookie Jar Brownie
Ingredients for shortbread and cookie dough layers:
- 24 Lorna Doone cookies or your own shortbread cookie recipe
- 1 1/2 C cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick of butter room tempature
- 1 C light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C espresso baking chips I used Nestle brand
- 1/2 C butterscotch baking chips
- 1/2 C pretzel M&Ms
For the brownie layer:
- 2 sticks of butter
- 5 oz semi-sweet or milk chocolate baking chips
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 C flour
- 1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Assemble the shortbread layer:
- Preheat oven to 350, ready your 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray . Arrange cookies on bottom of pan.
For the cookie dough layer:
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl with mixer until fluffy, add eggs and vanilla until smooth. Beat in flour mixture on low speed until combined. Stir in baking chips and candies until combined.
Head to the stovetop to make the brownie layer:
- Melt butter and chocolate chips over medium heat until combined. Remove from heat , let cool, add the granulated sugar and eggs until combined. This mixture should look smooth and glossy . Stir in flour, cocoa powder, and salt until no lumps remain.
- Spoon half this mixture over the cookies and spread to cover completely. Flatten handfuls of cookie dough mixture into small patties over the brownie layer until covered. Cover with rest of brownie mixture and smooth to cover dough layer.
- Bake until toothpick or cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 55 mins. Let cool before serving.
- As always, let me know if you try this recipe. I like it so much I MAY add it to the market menu! Stop by on the 17th and visit to see if I do.
As always, let me know if you try this recipe. I like it so much I MAY add it to the market menu! Stop by on the 17th and visit to see if I do.
Have a great weekend, foodie friends!